Organized in 1775 Darby Fire Company #1 is the oldest VOLUNTEER Fire
Company in Delaware County, 2nd oldest in the State of Pennsylvania and 5th
oldest in the Country.
In December of 1774 a fire occurred
in a farm house, which took the lives of 2 children, the loss sent a shock
wave thru the small village of Darby and several male residents of the village
organized "The Darby Fire Company" on the 27th day of January, 1775.
These early firemen fought fires using leather water buckets, ladders and
hooks until the company purchased its first fire engine in 1833 for $225, 00.
It was a used hand engine of the rotary vane style pump which was filled with
buckets of water and operated by six men.
The engine was nicknamed "The Darby Ram" as the ram was the mascot
of the woolen mills in Darby and the surrounding area. The ram was well known
throughout the County as the first fire engine in Delaware County and was kept
in a shed near the Blue Bell Inn.
A hose cart was purchased in 1834 and a permanent engine house was built
on 9th Street across from the old borough hall for a price of $106.00. The
engine and hose cart were moved from the Blue Bell property to its new engine
In 1877 the company purchased a used horse/hand drawn engine from" The
Shiffler Hose Company" for $400.00, it was a Philadelphia style engine,
double deck, which could be operated by 10-12 men, both engines are still owned
by the company today.
In March of 1903 the fire company was incorporated as “The Darby Fire
In December of 1911 property at
Chester Turnpike and Quarry St. was purchased for $2500.00 and a new fire house
was built for $8000.00 and Dedicated in December of 1912, with motorized fire
engines and an ambulance.
A new addition was built on Quarry St. in 1960 and in 2014 another addition
and renovation of the existing firehouse was completed with plenty of room to
house our modern pumpers and ambulances.
Today we provide the best firefighting techniques and equipment with over 40
active members and we provide Emergency Medical Services to Darby, Colwyn, and
Sharon Hill Boroughs staffed by Medics and EMT’s from Mercy Fitzgerald
As we celebrate our 240th year, we eagerly look to the future.